Using the internet as an online notebook for learning Vagahau Niue

Using the internet as an online notebook for learning Vagahau Niue

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Tohi Vagahau Niue


Fakaalofa lahi atu!  My dictionary finally arrived this afternoon.  Here is a photo that I found online.  What can I write about this dictionary?  First of all, let's take a look at the title of the book which is Tohi Vagahau Niue - Niue Language Dictionary (Niuean-English with English-Niuean Finderlist).  Tohi means book and vagahau means language.  Perhaps at the moment there is no word in Niuean meaning dictionary so this is expressed by Niuean Language Book or Tohi Vagahau Niue.  It is a hardcover book 596 pages.  Here is a link for Amazon and another for Google Books.  The first 39 pages are exclusively for User Notes.  They are written in detail and perhaps might not be of much interest for the average language learner.  I spent some time reading through to get a general idea of how to use the dictionary and get a better understanding of the process used by the editors.  On page 39 there is an address of interest and I shall include it here just in case someone might want to know it:

Niue Language Commission
PO Box 32
Alofi
Niue Island, South Pacific

I found some information online about an organization called Matakau Vagahau Niue and wonder if this is the same group.  I found the name translated as Niue Language Association and although the two names are different in English (Niue Language Commission and Niue Language Association), they could just well be the same organization.  By the way my dictionary has matakau listed as team, organization, group.  Also, there is an example sentence using this word:  Ko e matakau gahua lima he tau mamatua fifine.  It's the women's craft group.

Taking a look through my Niuean dictionary, I am more than pleased with the work that the editors did in order to accomplish this!  I am most impressed with the example sentences which give more insight into using the words correctly.  Also, for many of the words the Nuclear Polynesian or Proto-Polynesian term is listed.  For example, if I look up the word mata n. face, eye at the end of the entry, it has [PN *mata 'eye, face'] written which could be very useful when making comparisons with other Polynesian languages.  I spent several hours today studying and looking up new words in my dictionary.  So far, I am truly pleased with the dictionary, but if I must write a word or two of criticism, I would have to mention that sometimes it is a little confusing to find a word.  Perhaps I haven't fully understood just yet how the dictionary has been arranged and once I get used to it, I will be able to find words even faster.  Let me give you one example.  When I tried looking up the word matakau from above, I naturally looked for it as a headword.  It wasn't listed.  Next, I sort of had an idea that it might be two smaller words written together and looked for mata.  Just by chance, mata seems to be an extremely popular word and there is mata1, mata2, mata3, mata4 and mata5.  Next, I had to look under each headword for matakau as a subword.  Luckily, I found it in mata1 and didn't have to continue to mata5!  Mata1 - Mata5 runs from pages 209 - 218.  It might take a few minutes to locate another word like this or could this be an isolated case?  Still, I am really satisfied with the dictionary and will use the spelling listed inside for studying the language, keeping in mind that there may be spelling variations by different native speakers.

I will sign off with a phrase I found in my new dictionary.  Kia fakamafola hō finagalo. Please let your heart be peaceful.  That sounds so much better than my simple Kia koe that I have been using these past few postings.

Kia fakamafola hō finagalo.

2 comments:

  1. I see this was written a while ago, i would like to know how you found it and if you are still actively speaking

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am 16 years old and I'm really looking forward to purchasing this dictionary to communicate better with my elders. I'm eager to learn tge language! Glad you linked the Amazon link because it's $50 cheaper than what I was going to pay on another website! Fakaaue Lahi!

    ReplyDelete